Marc Beauchemin is a partner of the firm and a member of the Commercial group. His practice is primarily focused in the area of corporate, commercial, financial institution and distribution of financial products and services, with emphasis on mergers and acquisition and commercial agreements.
More particularly, Marc worked on several private mergers and acquisitions in the financial sector, the creation of innovative financial products, the implementation of strategic alliances and distribution, reinsurance and outsourcing arrangements.
He assisted some financial institutions to obtain regulatory approvals and comfort or when new bills or regulations governing them or relating to their activities and products were proposed. He worked on a lot of private bills passed by governments.
His broader experience in corporate/commercial law has permitted him to be well versed in related practice areas applicable across a broad spectrum of his clients’ business needs such as corporate governance, private mergers and acquisitions and corporate reorganizations, non-competition rules and joint ventures.
Finally, during his years of practice with the Chambre de la sécurité financière (CSF), he was able to develop knowledge in new areas of practice, namely disciplinary law in his role as Secretary of the Disciplinary Committee and information protection law in his role as Access to Information Officer for the CSF.
- Representing the CSF before the legislator and various government bodies in connection with Bill 141 on the reform of Quebec’s laws governing financial markets.
- Secretary of the Disciplinary Committee of the CSF, responsible for access to documents and protection of personal information for the CSF and representative of the CSF at various meetings of the Canadian Insurance Regulatory Organizations.
- Conversion of LS Mutual Insurance (now Humania) into a mutual management corporation and a capital stock insurance company.
- Conclusion by Promutuel Group of a joint venture with Desjardins including the acquisition of the deposit and loan portfolios of Promutuel Capital.
- Acquisition by National Bank of Canada (« NBC ») of the mortgage loan portfolio of Canadian Tire Bank in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia.
- Acquisition by National Bank Insurance Firm of Services Collectifs Assuraction inc., an insurance firm specialized in group insurance.
- Sale by NBC of its subsidiary in Nassau, Bahamas to Crédit Agricole (Suisse) SA.
- Conclusion by Natcan Investment Management Inc. of a sub-management agreement with Selexia Investment Management Inc. to manage its large-cap institutional portfolios
- Purchase and further sale by NBC of its interest in Alter Moneta, an enterprise specialized in financial leasing.
- Sale by Computershare Trust Company of share ownership management services business of National Bank Trust.
- Conclusion by NBC of an important distribution agreement of its banking products and services by representatives of Investors Group, Great-West and London Life.
- Sale by NBC of its credit card merchant portfolio for the benefit of Global Payments.
- Acquisition by Desjardins of Canadian Italian Trust and its continuance as a financial service cooperative.
- Joint venture between NBC and AXA for the direct sale of damage insurance.
- Legal organization of the life insurance distribution structure of NBC.